Monday, February 25, 2019

Last Minute Prep...

It's been a while since I've been writing for a blog and in some ways I've missed it.  My personal page was mostly outdoor themed or photography related but somewhere along the line, that slid off the back burner.  Maybe this World Games one will jump start me back to the keyboard.  Time will tell.

So I'm fortunate to be selected for a World Games-honored really, for a chance to coach wonderful athletes from across the US in a sport I truly love.  Once a track coach, always a track coach?  I know at training camp, sliding over to the long jump and high jump pit brought back a flood of great coaching memories from all those track meets in my HS coaching career.  As I've learned, sometimes on the SO coaching end of things, it can be even more satisfying as progress can be seen in even greater leaps and bounds (pun intended).  Cues and coaching directions for SO athletes sometimes have to be altered to be successful, and that's the challenge and the reward.

Anyway-that's what ahead when we step onto the track in Dubai.

Athletics (Track and Field) and swimming will be held in Dubai, while all other sports and opening/closing ceremonies will be in Abu Dhabi.  Our half marathoners and Triathletes will also compete in AD.  The 2019 games will be the worlds largest sporting event this year.  7000 athletes from 190 countries will descend on these 2 UAE emirates in just over a week.

ESPN will televise the games again and do a fantastic job-just what these athletes deserve.


 For me, this will be quite a cultural experience. I've seen a  few promotional videos on the pre-games and what they have been doing in preparation and I was taken aback seeing SO athletes in traditional Arab clothing (or not) alongside coaches and supporters from those countries.  I shouldn't be really.  But, I think it comes from our view (as Americans) toward any middle east Muslim country-painting all people from that region with a broad brush.  In this day in age, particularly for a western country, my hope is we all will gain a different perspective. 

Okay-pretty deep stuff, and I have piles of SOUSA clothing in the basement that mostly fits, needs my name laundry markered  and some idea of where it will be packed.  Roller duffle is limited to 50#, carry on to 15#.  Frankly, it should be easier than packing for a winter games -a tad fewer layers!  (high temps should be in the 80s I guess).  My printer is running low on ink as I print way too many things for the team-rosters, schedules, rules, packing lists.....and more to come.  All little things I try not to forget.  Will have to fall back on 19 years of experience doing this World Games gig with a handful of them as a HC.  The other coaches, Sports managers and athletes (37) will make it all work.

So -7 outside now, wind and 12" of new snow out the window. Time to groom ski trails I guess and make mental notes of all the other things that need to be done soon. Packing will progress in fits and starts this week in between trapping elk and typing up Winter Severity Indexes for work and shoveling way too much snow off the roof!

2 comments: