Saturday, March 2, 2019

Packing

Three days out and somehow I'm way too prepared-the boy scout in me maybe?  Well, the roller duffle is smaller than other times I've gone to a World Games, so I think I just wondered if everything on the packing list would fit and how much it would weigh.   I've been plugging away at it from time to time in the basement, stacking clothes in different piles and labeling them.  We (as a team) try to be very specific as to what athletes and staff should pack.....and nothing else.  If one follows the list to a T, then you'll do well.

Just to complicate things, we are required to wear specific "outfits" (for lack of a better term) for different functions-to help us look like a team and identify us as we move thru airports, customs, TSA and other activities.  That's mostly good, but when there are 315 of us on SOUSA, it can be a challenge to find just the track team!
So I did get everything packed into my bags yesterday with great success-they are underweight and I still have room.  Standard luggage for the team is a roller duffle that is checked, and once it starts its journey from our home states, we won't see it until Dubai.  Pack wisely!  Athletes and coaches then get a small packpack and a small roller carry-on, both need to be 15# or less.  Mine was 9.  Because I also have an old suitcase of extra competition uniforms to get to Newark New Jersey (our send-off city), I had to veer away to a different system. (I just realized how boring this post is....But I'll keep going!).  Anyway, I have a faithful backpack from a previous WG that I like, so all my carry-on clothing went in there, everything I need for NJ, for the flights and for Dubai,  our host town (in case checked luggage gets lost).  Besides, I didn't like the idea of wrestling 2 checked bags and a roller carry-on thru an airport.  The backpack would be easier.  Mission accomplished.  Big roller is 30, so 20 pounds underweight- I'll resist any temptation to bring extra stuff.  I need some room for the way back.

We're given all the team clothing we need, and I was lucky enough to have them fit.  Some coaches and athletes were not.  We're hoping some exchanging of clothes can be done in NJ if they haven't already altered them.  Besides team wear, I'll bring a couple extra T-shirts, a causal top in case we have any free time (doubtful), and some keens.

Last minute emails are flying and already I noted one change in "What to wear when" and will have to unpack and re-arrange a little.  Overall, the packing hurdle is mostly cleared, but many more lie ahead-therein is the challenge, the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment